Thursday, June 21, 2012

My journey to a Home Birth


                A lot of people have asked me recently, “what made you decide to have a natural home-birth, especially for your first birth?”  I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately.  What was it that made me decide to become part of the one percent in our nation that has out of hospital births?  I guess to really answer that question I have to go back to the very beginning of my pregnancy.
                When I first found out I was pregnant, I didn’t even think about what would happen at the actual birth, I was just over joyed to have a baby growing inside of me and promptly made an appointment at the Women’s Health Clinic in Sioux City where we were staying for the summer.  At my first appointment things felt like a typical doctor’s appointment.  A nurse weighed and measured me, took my blood pressure, had me pee in a cup and all that usual medical stuff.  Then the doctor came in for a few minutes, poked something up my hooha, gave me “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” and sent me on my way.  The rest of my appointments in Sioux City were almost mirror images of that, minus the pap-smear.
                Meanwhile, I read all of “What to Expect When Expecting” in a week and was left mildly disappointed.  That was what pregnancy and birth was?  No wonder women these days hated pregnancy and childbirth.  And yet, I didn’t buy into all that.  I began furiously reading every ounce of information I could get my hands on that talked about pregnancy and birth (when I eventually read “HypnoBirthing: the Mongan Method” I realized that my approach to birth was very similar to that of Marie Mongan’s).  I watched birth video after birth video.  Most of which were a mix of natural and drugged hospital births, none of which appealed to me in the least until I stumbled across a hospital water birth attended by a CNM.  THIS was what I wanted.  I turned my research to CNMs and promptly found some Nurse Midwifes in Orem, where I would be returning at the end of the summer.  I wouldn’t be there for another month, but I called and made an appointment anyways.
                I stopped my frantic research at that point thinking I’d learned all that I needed to and anxiously awaited my first appointment with the New Beginnings Midwives.  September finally came and Brenan I headed out to Orem Community hospital to meet the ladies that would be delivering our baby.  I was much happier with my first appointment with Jennifer then I had been with my OB appointments.  I felt much more at ease and Jennifer talked to me about things that were in my medical history, that I’d brought from The Women’s Health Clinic, that had never even been mentioned to me.  I was happy and content with my birth decision until 28 weeks rolled around and I was in one of the labor and delivery rooms of Orem community waiting for my RhoGAM shot.  THIS was where I was supposed to bring a baby into the world? I looked around me at all the apparatuses that surrounded me and felt the crinkle of the bed underneath me.  This was awful.  I was anxious to get out of there after 30 minutes, I couldn’t imagine being in there for 24 hours for delivery and after birth monitoring. 
A week later I got a notice in the mail saying that New Beginnings was closing down the first of January.  What?  How could this happen in my third trimester?  It just wasn’t fair! But then again…this opened up more options.  I went to my next appointment shortly after that and Jennifer told me that Orem Community was kicking them out but that I need not fear for they were currently undergoing the transition to new doctors and that all I’d have to do was transfer my records.  I left there that day feeling once again, fairly content with delivering with New Beginnings.  But as the week dragged on I became more and more restless with the idea of a hospital birth.  I knew I wanted to deliver naturally and began my research once again.  Were there even birthing tubs at the hospitals my CNMs had privileges?  What kind of interventions did they use?  I stumbled across a piece of info that I never seemed to have grasped before, CNMs reported to OBs, the very doctors I was trying to escape.  Furthermore, I knew NOTHING about the doctors that my CNMs were currently under, or the ones they were switching too.  Right around this time it became clear that I wasn’t going to have Health Insurance for my birth and we didn’t qualify for Medicaid.  If we paid up front and I didn’t get an epidural, needed absolutely no interventions, we would be paying $3,800 out of pocket. 
It was because of all this, that I began to look into birth centers.  I had heard that they tended to be cheaper.  Thanks to Google, I found the Bella Natal Birthing suites that were run by the better birth midwives, but another CPM –Cathy O’Bryant—also had privileges there.  I mentioned to my mother that I was thinking about delivering with an out of Hospital Midwife “Oh no! You don’t want to do that,” she said, “You’re going to want to be in the hospital.”  And that was that, or so it seemed.  For several more days I just could not get the idea out of my head and so I decided to call and make appointments with both the Better Birth Midwives, and with Cathy.  I mentioned what I was doing to Brenan and he seemed to be a little wary, but willing to look into a Birthing Center because of the cheaper price and its close proximity to several hospitals.
My appointment with Cathy came up first.  Appointments took place in her house in Payson, a short 15 minute drive from my home.  It was just a sort of meet and greet but I was hooked.  From what I read about Cathy on her website, and from meeting her in person, I knew without a doubt she was who I wanted to attend my birth.  I loved Cathy and her assistants.  I hadn’t known it, but they were what I had hoped for my whole pregnancy.  I told Cathy that I was thinking I would birth at the Birthing Center, and she was fine with that, but Cathy has this way when you can tell she has an opinion that she’s not sharing; she clearly preferred homebirths.  I made a prenatal appointment with her and headed back to Spanish Fork fantasizing about having my baby at home.  This was the first time that I even considered birthing at home as an option.  But surely I wouldn’t be able to get Brenan to agree.  It was tricky enough just to make him ok with the idea of a Birth Center, but the closer I got to home, the surer I was that was where I wanted to have my baby girl. 
The second I walked in the house I began more frantic researching.  I learned that whether you deliver with a CPM in a birth center or at home, there’s no difference in what supplies they have on hand.  So if I wasn’t going to deliver in a hospital, I might as well deliver at home.  I also learned that statistically, for a low risk pregnancy such as my own, home births were actually safer than hospital births!  That was it.  When Brenan got home I told him about my meeting with Cathy, took a deep breath, then told him we were having the baby at home and it was my decision because I was the one giving birth and his only option was to support me.  I could see the objection building and threw in that it was only going to cost $1800 for the rest of my prenatals, the birth, and my follow up appointments.  That settled it.  Our baby was going to enter the world at home in our bathroom.
                Best. Decision. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment