Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bye, Bye Chemicals, Hellooooo Organic Face!

Pregnancy turned me into a crazy birth activist and has made me fall in love with all things natural.  I recently read a book called “Green Made Easy: The Everyday Guide for Transitioning to a Green Lifestyle” by Chris Prelitz, and I learned soooo much!  I’m taking baby-steps towards a greener, more eco-conscious life.   
My new obsession that grew out of it is  all natural organic, homemade (if possible) products.  I’ve been washing my face with nothing but water and ground oatmeal for a week now!  Who would of thought something so simple, easy and cheap would be THE best face wash I have ever stumbled upon?  I follow the oatmeal up with a rub down of  lemon juice and then put on my lavender face and hand cream I bought at pike-place (not home-made but it does contain all natural ingredients).  On top of this I also switched to all natural mineral make-up from a very Eco-conscious company called Alima Pure.  They use recycled/recyclable material for everything they can and they have a jar return program for your used up make-up containers. So far I’ve only ordered their samples, but I’m already in love.  Good for the environment, good for my skin, and they make me look awesome!  You can buy their makeup at AlimaPure.com.  Thanks to these easy changes, those pesky blemishes I’ve been trying to get rid of for WEEKS are finally starting to fade away. 

This got me thinking, if eliminating chemicals from just my face has had so much change for the better, what would happen if I cut chemicals out of the rest of my life?  I started obsessively reading product labels and was appalled at how many chemicals we rub into the largest organ of our body ever day! This thought led me to do something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now: make my own hygiene products! I have my jar of ground up oatmeal that I use every evening, but I needed body wash, shampoo and conditioner to complete my organic hygiene collection. So that's exactly what I made! 

Well, save for the conditioner, I've since learned that coconut oil, if allowed to soak in your hair several times a week before bathing, makes a great conditioner. 

I'm now moving on to eliminating chemicals from my cleaning supplies. Did you know that vinegar is just about the BEST cleaning product out there?  It's great for removing toilet stains.  Just poor some in your toilet, allow to soak over night, and Presto! Beautiful, clean toilet.  The best part of eliminating chemicals is how much money you save, and you don't have to fear your toddler downing a bottle of spot remover (But no one would ever do that! Obviously you haven't met my brother...)

 

*Stay tuned for details on my one Month Vegan Experiment that I'm starting in exactly 

1 hour and 6 minutes.*

3 comments:

  1. Crunchy crunchy! :) I love vinegar. It's amazing and so so versatile. And you're doing a vegan experiment? We should have you over for dinner sometime! My husband's been vegan for a while now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! lol i need more food ideas. Pinterest can only get you so far...

      Delete
  2. you seem to always be reading the best books, I need a book list from you! :)

    ReplyDelete