Friday, August 31, 2012

Tired of Swimming

When it comes to most things parenting, and even food, these days I don't swim in the mainstream. In fact, more often then not I find myself swimming against the current. And I'm tired. I understand that I have different opinions on a lot of things, but having to constantly explain and justify my parenting choices has begun to wear on me. I used to want to open the eyes of everyone I talked too, but now, more often than not, I find I prefer to avoid such topics all together. 
I can only listen to "wow, a home birth? You're crazy!" so many more times before I'm going to crack and smack some poor girl in the face for what she thought to be a humorous comment with a hint of awe.
Does everyone really need to tell me how "they could never do that," or "I just couldn't ever put up with that" every single time I mention cloth diapers or co-sleeping? Sure, most the time it's meant as a sort of compliment, but when you hear it as often as I do, it all starts to sound like  "you're just to darn weird and out there for me to take any thing you say seriously."
Believe me, I understand that there is no one right or wrong way to raise a child, just as no two children are exactly a like. But despite this knowledge, just once, I'd like to be able to casually mention something from my life of motherhood without feeling like I need to launch into a defense for how I do things at my house and how their really is lots of research that supports delayed vaccination, and "extended" breastfeeding.
Oh breastfeeding...I don't even want to get started on that one.
I'm sure I'm not the only mother that feels this way. Even parents that do swim mostly in the mainstream can get worn down sometimes. Motherhood, like swimming, will tire you out no matter how you do it. So why can't we all make things easier on each other and accept each other's choices with the knowledge that we've all taken a personal journey to where we are as mothers/fathers and that the journey continues to go on.
I'm not a crunchy mom because I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to shock the world with my antics. I'm the mother that I am because I love my daughter with all my heart and am trying desperately to keep as both afloat by doing what I hope, and sometimes know, to be best for my dear sweet Tali girl and me.
So please, if you're paddling down stream, could you try and keep your oars from whacking me in the head? :P

2 comments:

  1. hi Shannon :)
    Funny you wrote this because in a surprisingly very opposite way I know what you mean. Like when I was unable to breastfeed Jax after countless lactation consultant visits, home visits, and doctor's visits and I ended up practically pumping my brains out though my boobs just to give him breastmilk. I got the "you are so crazy spending half your day pumping just to feed it to your baby in a bottle", so-sorry-for you looks nearly on a daily basis. I agree with you. Everyone's situation is different and it shouldn't matter to anyone else how you want to raise your child. If you ask me, that's the beauty of parenting. :) You get to do it however you want and the way that works best for you! If we all parented the same then how boring would life be? I've learned to ignore, or laugh, at silly parenting comments lately. No one knows your kids like you do, and if that's the way you want to do it, then tell them all to SUCK IT! haha :)
    Hope this finds you guys well, we sure are missing Utah and your pecan pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire women that work that hard just to be able to give their baby a few ounces of breastmilk! As much as I absolutely love breastfeeding Tali, it's always been easy for me and I wonder just how dedicated I would be to it if I had to struggle with it every day.
    Lucky neither of us really cres what other people think :) I'm of the opinion that every mom is an expert on their own child and therefor she should be allowed to follow her instincts without the gaze of disapproving eyes :)

    ReplyDelete